Refine Search Clear All
Experimental Geoscientist - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/25/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct experimental reactive-transport studies on chemical alteration of CO2 storage reservoirs. You will conduct multi-scale sample characterization, carry out bench-scale core-flooding experiments, and analyze resulting data to understand the role of chemical alteration on hydrologic properties (e.g., injectivity and storage capacity). We are looking for applicants with strong experimental and characterization skills who are interested in joining a diverse team of geoscientists working on energy and environmental projects. This position is in the Subsurface Flow and Transport Group of the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division at LLNL.
In this role you will
- Conduct fundamental and applied research characterizing reservoir core samples, fluids, and identifying signatures of fluid flow and reaction.
- Independently plan, design, and execute targeted experiments to address the research problem; develop new techniques and procedures as needed.
- Work independently within a laboratory setting, as well as collaborate in multidisciplinary teams, to share observations, test hypotheses, and accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals, present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Pursue independent (complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Geology, Geochemistry, Geophysics, or a related field.
- Experience with fluid-flow experimental reaction systems (e.g., flow-through reactors, core-flood systems).
- Experience with non-destructive characterization techniques (e.g., X-ray computed tomography).
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of skills in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Experience developing independent research projects, as shown through prior work and publications in the peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with analytical chemistry techniques and geochemical modeling.
- Experience with LabView or other automated data collection systems.
- Experience with coupled chemo-mechanics, including designing and executing experiments.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral