Refine Search Clear All
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Ramrod Chemist to provide technical support conducting dynamic experimental shots with high explosives in the High Explosives Applications Facility (HEAF). You will contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives by interacting with external funding agents/Sponsors and/or internal Principal Investigators by scheduling experimental shots; being responsible for designing, developing, and building those shots; providing the final permission to fire to HEAF Operations staff; and preparing a package of post-shot materials (including experiment design and data) with pertinent data analysis and interpretation. This position is in the Energetic Materials group of the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Plan, coordinate, and oversee the fabrication, purchasing (including special equipment and high explosive parts), hardware assembly, and diagnostic placement for experiments at HEAF.
- Participate in shot scheduling, coordinate mechanical and electronic engineering personnel to build experimental hardware, implement diagnostic methods, and assemble targets composed of energetic materials for testing in enclosed firing tanks at HEAF.
- Maintain accurate and detailed technical records of experimental design and data to ensure results are properly annotated and organized for reports.
- Collaborate with other scientists in the implementation of safety guidelines for experimental operations by applying technical knowledge and skills in a variety of safety disciplines and ensuring design reviews are conducted on novel experiments in compliance with the HEAF Facility Safety Document.
- Provide data collection and analysis for experimental shot and post-shot data, where errors may cause delays in schedule.
- Interact with internal customers, working under general direction to design and implement solutions for well-defined experimental designs of limited complexity.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2
- Utilize independent judgment to prioritize and schedule moderately complex to complex experiments with long lead-times, and deconflict scope, which may involve parallel tasks with well-defined priorities.
- Represent the organization by providing input on technical issues and at external meetings and/or conferences.
- Provide guidance and/or informal mentoring to less-experienced personnel.
- BS in chemistry, materials science, engineering, engineering technology, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of engineering design and engineering drawings, including geometric tolerancing and dimensioning, high-speed diagnostics and knowledge of machining processes, mechanical fabrication and assembly, materials properties and manufacturing methods.
- Experience working on projects with a high consequence of error with regard to safety.
- Experience functioning in multidisciplinary teams conducting experimental studies.
- Experience identifying and recommending solutions to technical problems of limited complexity by evaluating readily identifiable factors using standard methodologies.
- Experience in collection, analysis, and documentation of scientific data and/or results.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability and willingness to become a qualified Explosives Handler.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of materials science of energetic materials - including understanding behavior under extreme loading, including shock, impact, and heating environments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering design and engineering drawings, including geometric tolerancing and dimensioning, high-speed diagnostics and knowledge of machining processes, mechanical fabrication and assembly, materials properties and manufacturing methods.
- Experience identifying and recommending solutions to technical problems of moderate complexity by evaluating largely identifiable factors using innovative methodologies.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral