Neutrinoless Double Beta Decay - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 09/11/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The nEXO team at LLNL is hiring a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on developing machine learning analyses as well as other software and hardware for the nEXO experiment. nEXO is a large liquid xenon time projection chamber searching for neutrinoless double beta decay and is currently in the design and construction phase. In this role, you will design software that will enhance nEXO’s scientific reach through precision analyses and contribute to the design of nEXO through simulation-powered analysis of experimental design decisions. This role emphasizes software and data analysis skills, but experience with liquid noble time projection chambers for particle and nuclear physics is also valuable. This position is in the Particle Physics Group of the Nuclear and Chemicals Sciences (NACS) Division.
- Integrate into the nEXO collaboration.
- Create data analysis algorithms to improve nEXO’s precision.
- Extend nEXO’s data analysis using machine learning.
- Evaluate experimental designs and make recommendations using detector simulations.
- Contribute to exploratory research and development of new detection concepts similar to nEXO.
- Collaborate with other scientists and technical personnel to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. degree in Physics, Nuclear Engineering, or related fields. A PhD in a computing field may be considered if accompanied by extensive experience on particle physics detector applications.
- Experience in the principles of particle and radiation detection.
- Programming expertise in Python and C++.
- Experience in advanced and innovative detector data analysis.
- Initiative and ability to improve the scientific reach of particle detectors.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary research team as well as technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient communication skills with proven ability to present complex concepts and ideas in a clear, and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentations and publications.
- Demonstrated ability to acquire new skills and domain knowledge, so that any of the below desired qualifications can be acquired on the job if not already possessed.
Qualifications We Desire
- Proficiency with machine learning of detector data.
- Experience with liquid noble time projection chambers.
- Experience with neutrinoless double beta decay.
- Proficiency with software tools commonly used in the particle detector field, including Geant4 and analysis frameworks.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.