Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/20/2022
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Software Quality Assurance (SQA) Engineer to apply the principles and practices of Software Quality Engineering, by ensuring laboratory developed and acquired software meet regulatory, contract and customer requirements. You will assist the SQA Manager with the interpretation of contract requirements, DOE Orders, and consensus standards and determining those that apply to LLNL software and help develop institutional program descriptions, procedures, guidelines, and implementation mechanisms to evaluate SQA implementation in formal assessments, as well as mentor developers in the application of SQA in their projects and activities. This position is in the Applications Simulations and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computing Directorate and will be matrixed to the Mission Assurance Office (MAO).
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Review interpretation of contract requirements and consensus standards that apply to LLNL software.
- Review and/or update implementation mechanisms for institutional software quality program descriptions, policies, procedures, and guidance to satisfy contract requirements.
- Review nuclear/radiological safety software (aka 830 software) qualification packages for adequacy and completeness to determine if the software should be authorized for use at LLNL.
- Maintain the LLNL 830 Software Inventory.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders on the implementation of the SQA program.
- Provide guidance/education to code teams in the applications of SQA best practices to ensure compliance and continuous improvement.
- Participate in performance and compliance assessments of programmatic implementation of the Institutional SQA Program (ISQAP).
- Back-up the LLNL SQA Manager as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the TSS.3 Level
- Lead performance and compliance assessments of programmatic implementation of the Institutional SQA Program (ISQAP).
- Create, review, and/or update implementation mechanisms for institutional software quality program descriptions, policies, procedures, and guidance to satisfy contract requirements.
- Evaluate software risk rankings, mitigation strategies, and 830 software qualification documentation to assure appropriate quality standards and policies are met.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Quality Assurance, Software Engineering, or related field or an equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the American Society for Quality’s Software Quality Engineering Body of Knowledge.
- Experience in Software QA Engineering in the technology industry and executing SQA policy.
- Comprehensive experience in implementing SQA practices and techniques.
- Broad knowledge of product lifecycle management and configuration management.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Proficient verbal and written skills to effectively collaborate, present, explain, influence, and advise stakeholders and/or external sponsors.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 Level
- Significant experience conducting SQA-related performance and compliance assessments and program evaluations.
- Advanced knowledge of software quality applications and quality standards that govern the control of software quality.
- Advanced verbal and written skills to effectively collaborate, present, explain, influence, and advise stakeholders and/or external sponsors. Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
Qualifications We Desire
- Certified as a Software Quality Engineer by the American Society for Quality, as well as certified as a Lead Auditor for ISO 9001:2015 or NQA-1.
- Familiar with the DOE requirements of DOE O 414.1D for nuclear safety software, NQA-1-2008, IEEE Std. 730, IEEE Std. 828, IEEE Std. 1012, and NAP-401.1A.
- Knowledge of Confluence, Jira, and Microsoft Teams.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now