Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$103,290.00 - $132,612.00 Annually for the SES.1 level
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Software Developers with a combination of education and experience commensurate with supporting a variety of software development assignments. The selected candidates will work on multi-disciplinary teams in an environment that encourages the support of the academic research community while focusing on problems of interest to LLNL and DOE programs as a member of a dynamic, multidisciplinary team environment. These positions will be within a group in the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide computer science and software development support using industry standard software development practices and modern programming languages and operating systems.
- Develop a range of applications including scientific, graphical user interface, database, and visualization applications on UNIX platforms.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of computer programs on workstations.
- Participate on a research team to support work and research papers.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives, functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Engage other developers frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Provide solutions to moderately complex problems involving largely identifiable factors.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Skilled in all aspects of software project life cycle: feasibility, requirements, design, implementation, integration, test and deployment.
- Experience developing software with either Python, C++ or JAVA within Linux, UNIX, and/or Windows environments.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Experience approaching difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel with the ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Ability to work effectively with minimal guidance.
- Experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Broad experience applying effective analytical and problem-solving skills to moderately complex problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience with Perl, Web Technologies, Ajax, or HTML5, Oracle database schema design and SQL, distributed control systems, real-time operating systems, Big Data analytics, NAS, platforms, resource management systems, Linux virtualization, cloud computing technologies, grid frame works, and cloud file systems, revision control systems, remote boot protocols, and/or experience in a High Performance Computing environment.
- Experience with application development using object oriented methods, an understanding of fundamental networking and distributed computing concepts, and/or experience maintaining a High Performance Computing system.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now