Project Manager - GUIDE (Generative Unconstrained Intelligent Drug Engineering)
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/30/2022
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Project Manager to support the Generative Unconstrained Intelligent Drug Engineering (GUIDE) program, an exciting and fast-paced program combining predictive computational modeling, machine learning, and experimental biology to develop medical countermeasures for the Department of Defense (DoD). You will work as part of the leadership team and coordinate with technical leads in Engineering, Computations, Physical and Life Sciences, and Global Security Directorates. You will manage cost, schedule, reporting, and risk of a large and growing program and act as the primary point-of-contact for internal and DoD contract reporting requirements. This position is within the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) of the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Apply advanced project management principles to multiple complex technical projects at any given time while balancing resources and identifying risk.
- Monitor the progress of work and the impact of changes by working as a liaison between onsite technical staff and program managers within the Department of Defense.
- Guide technical staff to identify and evaluate engineering standards and procedures to improve overall process efficiency.
- Conduct technical operational tasks in managing, planning, and executing the scope, schedule, and budget, variance analysis, recovery plans, and reporting for assigned control accounts. Develop project plans including task estimation.
- Mentor technical leads developing project plans, project risk assessments and responses.
- Perform complex analysis tasks independently, working towards goals and objectives.
- Plan large efforts requiring collaboration with multiple disciplines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Prepare system engineering analysis of stakeholders and codify requirements, interfaces, verification and validation plans for high complex and diverse projects.
- Prepare major cross-functional, multi-year project plans including task estimation. Facilitate and interact with senior leaders and internal and external stakeholders to complete project activities.
- Prepare technical process strategies and plans and present to all levels of management.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, engineering, or related technical field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience of project management principles used in managing complex research and development technical projects including organizing, managing, and tracking scope, schedule, budget, and risk.
- Experience managing large Government contracts, in particular DoD contracts, that integrate multiple, simultaneous Task Orders and subcontractors with associated budget, schedule, and risk reporting following industry-standard practices.
- Experience applying advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to business outlooks such as forecasting, cost/benefit analysis, and trending.
- Ability to engineer solutions by collaborating as needed across different internal groups, and external stakeholders and where required reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Effective organizational skills, customer support, task prioritization, attention to detail, accuracy, and follow through.
- Advanced written and verbal communication and negotiation skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members and influence outcomes, as well as use discretion and problem-solving skills to resolve issue.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Experience as a supervisor or team leader, engineering and implementing complex business solutions, managing a team overseeing multi-year, cross-functional research projects scheduling, procurements, financial updates, non-disclosure agreements, intellectual property, and consortium agreements.
- Experience developing highly complex research plans, developing integrated project analyses, and designing and implementing improvements.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to advise and influence senior management and/or external sponsors as well as managing conflict resolution and influencing multiple stakeholders without direct authority.
Qualifications We Desire
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or equivalent training and certification.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.