Refine Search Clear All
Scientific Instrumentation Software Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a highly motivated, self-starting Scientific Instrumentation Software Engineer to develop, integrate, and maintain environmental instrumentation and associated software into systems that reliably acquire, analyze, and share data. You will work independently with the Environment, Safety, and Health’s (ES&H) Technical Services Department (TSD) staff, external vendors, and Lab-wide Computing specialists to design & implement software. You will work daily with environmental analysts and technicians to ensure their instrumentation and associated software systems are on-line and functional. Projects include reengineering existing systems to modernize technologies, developing and implementing software to manipulate, store, analyze, and/or transfer data, authoring and maintaining documentation, and supporting deployment of new equipment purchases. This position is in the Application, Simulations and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work independently on multiple projects and organize your time effectively based on emergent requests and competing priorities.
- Collaborate with various scientific & technical disciplines and vendors to fulfill customer needs and elicit requirements.
- Create, review, and maintain advanced technical support documentation for systems and their environments.
- Analyze scientific instrumentation specifications (networking, protocols, data transfer capabilities) to evaluate and design new data acquisition systems.
- Employ moderately complex software engineering methods using industry standard object-oriented software development practices and modern programming languages and operating systems.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of scientific, industrial control, notebook, and web-based applications.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Provide ongoing advanced software technical support for developed data acquisition systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 level
- Lead system analysis efforts to design and develop advanced technical solutions, coordinating with Lab-wide computer and infrastructure teams, to recommend solutions and strategies for integration of new technologies.
- Research, develop, and present modern & fiscally appropriate technology proposals that take into account tangible and intangible factors.
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computer, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent combination of technical training and extensive experience.
- Ability to perform moderately complex to complex in-depth technical analysis and problem diagnosis with systems comprised of both custom and Commercial-Off-the-Shelf (COTS) components.
- Experience integrating instrumentation with software applications by utilizing technologies such as LabVIEW, command-line scripting, and knowledge of technologies such as network protocols and concurrency.
- Experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming with high-level languages such as C++ or Java and interpreted languages such as Perl or Python.
- Experience with source code control systems such as git.
- Experience managing large and diverse datasets associated with instrumentation by using relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL, or PostgreSQL.
- Proficient interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate as part of a cohesive interdisciplinary development team, along with the ability to work with multiple customers and organizations simultaneously with time constraints and present and explain technical information to others.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Significant experience working independently to plan and schedule own workload, establish technical priorities, and collaborate with high-level technical personnel.
- Significant experience designing, implementing, deploying, and maintaining software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to effectively lead technical efforts in an interdisciplinary environment and present technical advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Hands-on experience managing, maintaining, and developing software against scientific instrumentation.
- Proven entrepreneurial drive to learn and evaluate new technologies in order to implement technology-appropriate solutions that meet business requirements.
- Familiarity with tools and techniques for rapid application development and dashboarding, such as Jupyter notebooks or Tableau.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now