Refine Search Clear All
Senior Machine Learning Researcher - Biomedical and Precision Medicine
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking highly qualified scientists and engineers to join our interdisciplinary team of Machine Learning Researchers. You will work with researchers from a variety of fields to provide solutions and lead projects supporting a variety of problems with applications to biomedical research and precision medicine. Qualified candidates should have in-depth knowledge of machine learning toolkits and a background in applied research in machine learning or a complementary scientific discipline providing underlying skills in data analytic techniques. While supporting applied research projects, selected candidates will provide mentorship and practical training to junior members of the group to help them develop depth and breadth in machine learning techniques. This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead research efforts in Machine Learning to enable development of new state-of-the-art algorithms for problem domains in biomedical research and precision medicine.
- Mentor and advise LLNL scientists and engineers in data science best practices.
- Coordinate data collection, processing, and labeling efforts, including but not limited to understanding the data through the use of visualization and statistical methods, cleaning/organizing the data, and representing the data in a format suitable for Machine Learning algorithms.
- Develop implementation, training and validation plans for proposed new state-of-the-art Machine Learning algorithms for Laboratory problem domains.
- Serve as a primary point of contact with inter-organizational contacts and/or external customers.
- Adapt general methodology to practice meeting project-specific requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Determine project scope, schedule and budget and lead a team of multidisciplinary personnel who conduct analysis under your direct supervision.
- Propose and execute development plans meeting medium/long term objectives for Laboratory problem domains,
- PhD in Computer Science, Computational Engineering, Applied Statistics, Applied Mathematics or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expertise developing and applying algorithms in one or more of the following Machine Learning areas/tasks: deep learning, unsupervised/self-supervised learning, transfer learning, zero- or few-shot learning, active learning, reinforcement learning, natural language processing, ensemble methods, statistical modeling and inference (e.g., probabilistic graphical models, Gaussian processes, or nonparametric Bayesian methods).
- Experience applying machine learning techniques to biomedical applications and/or precision medicine.
- Experience in the broad application of one or more higher-level programming languages such as Python, Java, Scala, or C/C++.
- Experience with one or more deep learning libraries such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, or Caffe.
- Ability to work independently under general direction within the scope of an assignment and use sound judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present technical ideas/results and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel off-site for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Significant experience managing projects and teams.
- Significant experience effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and implementing advanced research concepts in a multi-disciplinary team environment where commitments and deadlines are important to project success.
- Significant experience collaborating across research (university or national laboratory) and commercial (industry) institutions.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.