Security Software Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Security Software Engineer to support and develop tools and processes for securing high performance computers. You will work independently to support and apply software and security engineering skills on a variety of hardware platforms to identify and remediate compliance issues and harden our infrastructure and services to meet our baselines. This position is in the Livermore Computing Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Build security into the HPC operating system environment.
- Identify issues and propose solutions to technical problems across a wide range of projects and efforts to improve design and implementation of security best practices.
- Perform software engineering using established development practices, tools, and processes for achieving robust software quality; including testing, configuration management, change management, and documentation.
- Engineer solutions to automate the measurement and enforcement of security baselines on predominantly Linux systems, across multiple disjoint network enclaves.
- Interact directly with other LC groups regarding security best practices for configuration of HPC systems.
- Define, scope, prioritize, and estimate work collaboratively.
- Develop and improve technical and interpersonal skills for yourself and the team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Independently solve moderately complex problems existing throughout a heterogeneous distributed environment.
- Provide technical leadership and guide efforts to develop tools or processes for improving the efficiency and technical operations of users and staff.
- Effectively perform duties using independent judgment and minimal direction.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Proficiency securing Unix/Linux systems in a production environment.
- Strong familiarity with configuration guideline frameworks, such as, CIS benchmarks and/or DISA STIGs.
- Experience with Python, Bash, or similar scripting / languages, particularly for use in automation processes.
- Knowledge of software testing and quality assurance strategies.
- Familiarity with version control systems.
- Experience as a software developer.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment, as well as the ability to work effectively with minimal guidance and as part of a team.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced experience with implementing solutions to emerging cyber security concerns.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to contribute to creative solutions to complex problems in cross-organizational efforts.
- Advanced verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively in a technical team environment and to represent LLNL in public forums.
Qualifications We Desire
- Proficiency in building and managing security monitoring tools for Linux systems.
- Strong understanding of securing containers and their orchestration systems, as well as, experience with one or more configuration management tools like Ansible or CFEngine.
- Experience working in network environments across multiple classification levels.
- Knowledge of DOE/NNSA/LLNS policies and procedures.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.