Refine Search Clear All
Software Project Manager
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 09/14/2022
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Software Project Manager supporting both the Environmental Restoration Department and ES&H Technical Services Department. You will partner with the software development team and the management teams supporting these departments to ensure smooth and efficient delivery of custom software products that enable the scientific and business missions of the departments. This position will establish vision, execution strategies, and plans for software projects, coordinate and track project resources, and serve as a liaison between all parties involved in software development. This position is in the Applications, Simulations, and Quality (ASQ) Division in the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Manage the impact of software changes to business processes and standard operating procedures across the two departments.
- Support and coordinate with department management and the software development team for full prioritization and scheduling of projects.
- Facilitate negotiations between involved parties to resolve conflicting software requirements and project milestones; understand and communicate how software changes impact business or scientific requirements.
- Author statements of work, requirements documents, and strategic vision documents in collaboration with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), department management, and the development team.
- Ensure technical working groups between development staff and subject matter experts have the correct personnel and are scheduled in a timely fashion to ensure project success.
- Independently support and monitor tasks and resources associated with multiple competing technical projects.
- Coordinate user acceptance testing (UAT) and provide hands-on QA of work products to ensure developed software meets stakeholder expectations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the TSS.3 Level
- Independently collaborate with customers to collect functional software requirements and translate into project milestones.
- Identify, develop, and implement process and procedure improvements to increase team planning and management efficiency.
- Independently maintain, review, advise, and supervise project resource leveling, scheduling of the critical path, and development of reports and graphs to visualize project progress.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical discipline or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Broad experience, understanding, and knowledge of software project management technical skills and experience with project management systems for planning, organizing, performing, reviewing and completing projects.
- Ability to devise solutions for complex technical requirements, to take initiative to develop innovative solutions for successful project execution, to manage (organize, direct, and monitor schedule) multiple projects concurrently and to reprioritize and change project direction depending on emergent requests.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members.
- Ability to manage multiple parallel tasks, deadlines, and deliverables, including coordination with remote team members to obtain needed information.
Additional Qualifications at the TSS.3 Level
- Significant experience working independently with multi-disciplinary teams managing multiple simultaneous projects in a highly complex environment.
- Significant experience negotiating scope, deliverables, and timelines involving multiple interdependent projects utilizing the same resources.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to negotiate and influence without direct authority.
Qualifications We Desire
- Relevant previous experience managing software projects through the entire software development lifecycle (SDLC).
- Project Management Professional certification/license.
- Familiarity with software development collaboration tools (e.g. BitBucket, GitHub, GitLab).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now