Optical Science Laser Experimentalist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Optical Science Laser Experimentalist to perform a full range of complex research in the area of laser matter interactions. You will actively participate with and be an integral member of a team responsible for developing and fielding new experiments to probe how lasers interact various materials and optical components. This position is in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Principal Associate Directorate.
In this role you will
- Design and field beam delivery optics for kJ class pulsed laser systems to specified requirements that may not be well-defined.
- Design and field complex beam diagnostics for use in laser matter interaction experiments using kJ class pulsed laser systems to specified requirements.
- Trouble-shoot optical delivery and control systems, working independently, under minimal direction.
- Provide quality control of data.
- Design and use of electromechanically controlled systems in optical laboratories.
- Utilize LabVIEW for control of imaging and electromechanically controlled systems.
- Interact with stakeholders at various levels to assist in developing hypothesis-driven experimental requirements.
- Develop and present written analyses, verbal briefings, and other products that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Physics or optical engineering or the equivalent combination of education and previously relevant experience.
- Significant experience and advanced knowledge in designing, conducting, and analyzing experimental data in the field of laser-mater interactions.
- Advanced knowledge of complex physics, optics, or laser systems and experience working with electro-mechanical components.
- Significant experience performing complex engineering troubleshooting and analysis as well as maintaining control data while working under minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research and development environment.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to project sponsors and external collaborators.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledgeable of laser-mater interaction theory.
- Experience with multi-J class laser systems.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.