Applied Statistics Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 05/23/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$108,600 - $126,720 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researchers. You will engage in cutting edge research, design, and deployment of statistical methods to solve important decision and detection problems stemming from the Laboratory's core mission spaces. We invite you to join us if you have expertise in one of the following desired areas: Bayesian modeling, uncertainty quantification, analysis and design of computer experiments, statistical learning, statistical methods for “Big Data” or general statistical consulting.
If you are interested in career development, this is the perfect opportunity for you. Time is also available for completing journal articles for submission, learning new methods or programming languages, and exploring the variety of research activities across the Lab. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: information retrieval and representation, cyber security, image and video analysis, design of computer experiments, climate modeling, energy analysis, computational biology, lasers, and optics.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas.
- Contribute to and actively participate with project scientists and engineers in the scope, planning, and formulating modeling/simulation efforts for physical, engineering, and computational systems in the areas of cyber security, biological and environmental threat detection, uncertainty quantification, and others.
- Develop, implement, validate, and document specialized analysis software tools and models as required.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals including industrial and academic partners.
- Organize, analyze and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Statistics or related field.
- Experience using programming skills in at least one prototyping language R/Matlab/Python, as well as one of C/C++/Java to enable high performance statistical computation.
- Experience developing and applying advanced statistical/machine learning models and algorithms for one or more of the following settings: classification, clustering, anomaly detection, density estimation, pattern recognition, knowledge discovery.
- Experience as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Experience developing independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability and desire to obtain substantial domain knowledge in fields of application and ability to communicate effectively with subject matter experts.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with algebraic statistics and statistical models for combinatorial/algebraic structures.
- Experience with human language technology, data mining, and self-supervised learning.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now