Refine Search Clear All
High Density Materials - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/03/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Postdoctoral Researcher who will work on the relationship between microstructure and dynamic response (structure, EOS, constitutive properties, and transport properties) of High Energy Density (HED) materials using X-ray Free-Electron Lasers (XFELs) and laser-driven compression techniques. This position is in the HED Physics Section of the Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Participate in the design, execution, and analysis of experiments for the purpose of studying the physics of HED matter.
- Conceive, plan, and write proposals for novel experiments.
- Function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail.
- Function as a collegial team member freely sharing knowledge, information, analysis and techniques.
- Develop and implement new models and computer algorithms to understand the properties of HED materials and their behavior.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Maintain professional and institutional visibility through participation in conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physics or related field.
- Knowledge in applied physics, HED physics, high-pressure physics, condensed matter, geophysics, x-ray diffraction, x-ray spectroscopy, x-ray instrumentation, or laboratory astrophysics.
- Accomplishments in experimental science.
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to scientific and technical problems.
- Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to details.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature and presenting research results to a large audience.
- Ability to perform classified work once a security clearance is obtained.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with developing new experimental techniques and/or algorithms required to understand matter in new regimes.
- Understanding of condensed matter and/or high energy density (HED) physics.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now