Refine Search Clear All
Plant-Microbe Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/03/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
The Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division (NACS) in the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) Directorate has an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to study plant-mycorrhizal-bacterial interactions in simplified and soil-based experiments. You will use isotope tracing in combination with ‘omics techniques to dissect interactions in complex soil environments, as well as use next-generation imaging technologies to assess interaction dynamics. We are looking for candidates with a recent PhD in microbial ecology, microbiology, plant biology, or related field. This position is in the Environmental Isotope Systems group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Develop and pursue innovative research using 13C and 15N stable isotope probing and ‘omics molecular analysis (metagenomics, metatranscriptomics).
- Analyze interactions between plants and microbial symbionts (fungal and bacterial) using microscopic and ‘omics approaches.
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research to address problems in soil carbon cycling, nitrogen cycling, and plant-microbial interactions.
- Collaborate with other scientists and technical personnel.
- Perform independent research and lead new projects in the area of environmental microbiome research and isotope-enabled methods development.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Microbial Ecology, Plant Biology, Microbiology, or related field and demonstrated experience.
- Experience in designing, running, and analyzing data from soil microbial ecology studies.
- Experience studying plant, fungal, or bacterial interactions.
- Experience with bioinformatics and microbial community statistical analysis.
- Publication record in well-regarded refereed journals.
- Documented ability as an independent and innovative experimentalist.
- Documented experience in written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written publications, and reports.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi is highly desired.
- Experience analyzing metagenomic, metatranscriptomic, or metabolomics datasets.
- Experience with stable isotope probing techniques (e.g., SIP).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now