Refine Search Clear All
Computational Postdoctoral Researcher in Additive Manufacturing
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member. The Thermal Fluids Group seeks to develop predictive computational models and software tools for applications in additive manufacturing.
If you are interested in career development, this is the perfect opportunity for you. Time is also available for completing journal articles for submission, learning new methods or programming. This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research and development with computational tools in one or more of the following areas: computational geometry, heat transfer, thermal sensors, laser physics, multi-physics simulation, and/or machine learning.
- Design and implement software and perform data analysis applied to additive manufacturing.
- Design efficient algorithms and implement them to minimize compute time, reduce resource cost, and increase prediction accuracy.
- Pursue complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Process and analyze experimental data for model development, model validation, and model calibration.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Engineering, Physics, Applied Science, or related field.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: engineering, physics, machine learning, high performance computing.
- Experience developing independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Comprehensive knowledge in analysis, modeling, and/or simulation tools (e.g. CFD, FEA).
- Ability to thrive autonomously; be proactive in solving inevitable roadblocks, have a persistent attitude, and self-train when necessary.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience with Linux and programming languages such as Python, C, C++.
- Experience in writing technical reports, journal articles, and high-quality research proposals.
- Project management and communication skills.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now