Refine Search Clear All
Experimental Materials Science - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 05/10/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in experimental materials sciences with an emphasis on metals advanced manufacturing and a focus on uranium alloy metallurgy. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of materials scientists, physicists, and chemists working on laser-based additive manufacturing and will actively participate in the characterization and qualification of additively manufactured metals. This position is in the Metallurgy and Advanced Microscopy group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct fundamental research in metallurgical processing, including laser-based additive manufacturing.
- Perform characterization of feedstocks for additive manufacturing processes. Coordinate with researchers to optimize feedstock production.
- Characterize manufactured parts to determine process-structure-property correlations.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technicians, and machinists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals, with a specific focus on collaboration with scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory’s Lujan Center to design experiments using neutron and X-ray diffraction.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols, including adherence to safety and security protocols.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, or a related field.
- Experience with laser powder bed fusion processing and other additive and conventional metallurgical processing techniques.
- Experience in materials characterization methods for structural materials (i.e., X-ray diffraction, neutron diffraction, X-ray fluorescence, electron microscopy, optical microscopy, and/or mechanical testing).
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects and publish in peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with shape memory alloys.
- Experience working with hazardous and/or radioactive chemicals.
- Knowledge and understanding of chemical characterization methods, including inert gas fusion and ICP-MS.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.