Refine Search Clear All
Nanofluidics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in nanofluidics in carbon nanotube pores and other types of single digit nanopores and actively participate in the research to evaluate water and ion transport efficiency and selectivity in these novel nanoscale channels. You will join a dynamic multidisciplinary group that studies all aspects of nanoscale transport in 1D and 2D materials. This position is in the Nanoscale Integration Science group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in experimental characterization of transport properties of nanofluidics channels including but not limited to carbon nanotube porins.
- Develop new experimental protocols for measuring water and ion transport in these structures and for characterizing their differential selectivity.
- Design and perform simulations of transport in these nanostructures using commercial fluidics modeling software.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in materials science, chemistry, engineering or a related field.
- Experience in experimental characterization of nanofluidic systems, including but not limited to carbon nanotube porins.
- Experience in preparation and handling of lipid bilayer and liposomal systems and experience with liposome-based transport assays.
- Knowledgeable of the concepts of computational modeling, experience with COMSOL modeling of fluidic transport.
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with stop-flow based transport assays.
- Experience in atomic force microscopy.
- Working knowledge of molecular dynamics simulations.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.