Aerospace Engineering Graduate Student Intern - Summer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/30/2022
Job Code: 705.3 Grad Student Computer Prof
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Computational Engineering Division (CED) has multiple openings for Graduate Student Interns. Our openings are for graduate level students and students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree who will be given the opportunity to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. The selected interns will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of aerodynamic and aerothermodynamic simulation and analysis, ablation and gas-surface interaction, guidance, navigation, and control (GNC), structural and thermal analysis, boundary layer transition, or other related aerospace fields.
In this role you will
- Provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of aerospace engineering, particularly aerothermodynamic analysis, structural and thermal dynamics, flight dynamics, or other related fields, working with scientists, engineers and technical staff members.
- Analyze the external flight environment of an aerospace system through different phases of flight and velocity regimes (subsonic through hypersonic).
- Perform computational fluid dynamics (CFD), finite element analysis (FEA), or trajectory analysis; post-process the results; document and present the results.
- Develop and maintain computational model and/or code documentation, verification and validation activities.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Conduct research in assigned area under limited direction and supervision.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientists and engineers in research and development projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering or a related field.
- Experience applying basic engineering principles to solve technical problems.
- Programming experience, especially in Python, MATLAB, Java, C++, and/or Fortran.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or a recent Bachelor’s or Master’s graduate within one year.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in the aerospace or mechanical engineering (or related) field with experience applying basic and scientific principles to solve technical problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience running CFD simulation codes (US3D, Cart3D, FUN3D, Fluent, Star-CCM+, etc.) on Linux HPC clusters.
- Experience running structural finite element codes (Ansys, Abaqus, etc.).
- Experience developing flight simulation models and/or control algorithms for flight vehicles.
- Experience with boundary layer transition modeling and prediction.
- Experience with data science, machine learning, or reduced order modeling.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now